- 1 What Is SEO Friendly URL?
- 2 The Ideal Permalinks Setting Page Explained
- 3 Creating Custom Permalink Structure Using Available Tags :
- 4 Warning : What Happen To Old Post Link, When I Change Permalink Structure?
- 5 How To Move From Older Permalink To New Without Losing Traffic And Backlinks With 301 Redirect?
- 6 Conclusion :
What is the best SEO Friendly URL Structure For WordPress
Many SEO Experts Told us That Permalink Structure Play a Vital Role in Ranking Our Blog on Google and Other Search Engine.
So in This Article, I’ll Explain About Optimizing WordPress SEO URL/Permalinks Structure For Better Ranking.
What Is SEO Friendly URL?
Before We Go Too Deep Into WordPress SEO URL/Permalinks Structure, It’s Important That We Define What Is a SEO Friendly URL.
SEO Friendly URLs Contain Keywords That Explain The Article, and They Are Easy To Read by Both Human and Search Engines.
Some Examples of Ideal SEO Friendly URL :
So How Does The Non-SEO Friendly URL Look??
By Default WordPress Uses Year, month and date Before postname.
You can find various permalink settings under WordPress dashboard > Settings > Permalink. A few suggested permalink structures are:
- Plain : It Will Show Post It On Every Permalinks.
- Day and Name : It Will Show You Date (Year, Month and Date) with Post Name in Permalinks.
- Month And Name : In This Permalinks, It Only Show Year, Month And Postname in Permalinks.
- Numeric : It Will Show Numeric Post ID of Every Post.
- Post Name : The Best SEO Friendly Permalink, It Is Easy To Read By Both Human and Search Engines. It Contains Main Focused Keyword of Post Title.
- Custom Structure : In Custom Structure You Can Choose Use Your Custom Permalink Using Given Tags.
For Best Result, I’ll Suggest You To Use
Here On TheGuideX, I’m Using
%postname% Permalinks. You can copy the URL structure we use on TheGuideX or choose the
%category%/%postname%/ as your URL Structure.
However, There Are Plenty Of Other Options You Can Use in Your URL Structures.
They Are Explained Below :
%year%– It Uses The Year of the post in Permalinks, for example 2017.
%monthnum%– It Uses Month of the year in Permalinks, for example 04
%day%– It Uses Day of the month in Permalinks, for example 07
%hour%– It Show Hour of the day in Permalinks, for example 15
%minute%– It Show Minute of the hour in Permalink Structure, for example 43
%second%– Second of the minute, for example 33
%postname%–It Show The sanitized version of the title of the post For example, if your post title is “Sample Post”! It would become sample-post in the URL.
%post_id%– The unique ID # of the post, for example 423
%category%– It Show The sanitized version of the category name in Permalinks
%author%– Show The Author Name in Url Structure.
Don’t forget to click on the save changes button after choosing your permalink structures.
If Your Site is Running from Last 5-6 Months, Then I’ll Suggest You To Please Do Not Change Your Permalink Structure. If You Did So You’ll Loose Your Social Share, Post Backlinks Etc.
These Things Are Remain Unchanged When You Change Your Permalinks Structure :
- Internal post links on posts or pages which you added – Unchanged.
- External links to your posts (those on other people’s sites) – Unchanged.
- Search engine links – unchanged. Not until the searchbots crawl and reindex your site, anyway.
- Links bookmarked by yourself or others – Unchanged.
Then What Happened With Unchanged Links??
They get broken. Anyone accessing them will get a “Page not found”.
If You Had Decided To Move To Postname Permalinks, Then You’re in Luck.
We Have Developed a Handy ThePermalinks Create Redirect Tool, This Handy Tool Will Generate The Correct URLs For Your 301 Redirects.
It Generate a One Line Code That You Have To Paste in .htaccess File.
So It is Simple to Do, As Compared With Using Plugin If You’ve Many Redirects To Do.
ThePermalinks.com is The Best Tool To Manage Post Redirections. You Must Have To Use it To Generate 301 Redirect After Changing Your Permalink Structure.
What Permalinks Type Have You Choosen For Your Site, And Why??
Please Leave a Comment Below.